Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Celebrating EVERY holiday

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Philippians 4:4 (NIV)

Many seasons come our way that we would rather not celebrate: when a job is lost … when friends or family members aren't getting along … when the news from the doctor isn't what we'd like to hear … when _________ (you fill in the blank). We will (and did with the Celebrating Christmas! blog) rejoice in holidays like Christmas and others, but what about those holiday seasons that aren't so happy?

Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. Lamentations 3:22-23 (NIV)

Every morning we can trust in the Lord's love, compassion, and faithfulness. Because His faithfulness is great, every day is a holy day or, in abbreviated form, a holiday.

And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28 (NRSV)

As I write this, awake in pain at 4:26 am, I am not in the middle of what most would consider to be a season worth celebrating. In the past couple of years, I've gone from being a healthy gal to having two chronic diseases that can bring about other complications, including the staph infection I currently am fighting. But, as I write this, awake in pain at 4:26 am, I am celebrating the One who works in all my circumstances to bring about my good.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:8-9 (NIV)

I'm not God, so I'm not going to try to take a stab at what His purpose is for me in this. I've seen glimmers of it here and there, and I trust He'll reveal more and more in His time. I don't know, either, what His purpose is for you in your not-so-celebratory seasons. I'm simply comforted knowing that God's ways and thoughts exceed mine. My two-year-old daughter didn't fully grasp Christmas this year, but she still celebrated. I won't always be able to grasp God's ways in my circumstances, but I can still celebrate the One who is in control of them.

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. John 10:10 (NIV)

The verse that we kicked off this blog with is so rich. The final phrase differs by translation: have it to the full (NIV); have it abundantly (NASB); have real and eternal life, more and better life than they ever dreamed of (MSG); have it in abundance, to the full, till it overflows (AMP); have it more abundantly (KJV). It doesn't say, "have it to the full when times are good." It doesn't say, "more abundantly by the world's standards." It doesn't say, "till it overflows with what we think it ought to overflow with."

We don't get to define what full life is; that's God's job, and I am so thankful for that. Nothing is better than what Christ has for us. To experience that real life, more and better life than I ever dreamed of, I've learned that I have to experience some seasons that look or feel more like "less and worse" than "more and better." But Christ is alive and working in those seasons too, in ways that are higher than mine and that He promises are for my good … which makes this, too, a season for rejoicing. A holiday worth celebrating!

No comments:

Post a Comment